iron wire logo black and red

Trump Allies Are Already Applying for Compensation From The $1.8 Billion Anti-Weaponization Fund

6 hours ago
Economists Increase Inflation Forecasts And Expect Delayed Rate Cuts: Survey
Originally posted by: IB Times

Source: IB Times

President Donald Trump‘s allies are already lining up to seek money from his administration’s new $1.776 billion “Anti-Weaponization Fund,” a Justice Department program created to compensate people who say they were politically targeted by the federal government under the Biden administration.

The fund, announced by the Justice Department this week, will have the power to issue formal apologies and provide monetary relief to approved claimants. The DOJ said there are “no partisan requirements” to apply and that any unspent money will return to the federal government when the fund stops processing claims by Dec. 1, 2028.

But the first wave of public interest is coming from Trump supporters, Jan. 6 defendants and longtime allies who say prosecutions, investigations or public scrutiny damaged their lives and finances.

Enrique Tarrio, the former Proud Boys leader sentenced to 22 years for seditious conspiracy before Trump pardoned Jan. 6 defendants last year, told Reuters he planned to apply and estimated he could seek between $2 million and $5 million. “I’m not greedy,” Tarrio said. “But my life was all f—ked up because of this.”

Peter Ticktin, a lawyer representing more than 400 Jan. 6 defendants, told the outlet that he expects to file hundreds of claims once the Justice Department opens the application process. “People lost multi-million dollar businesses while they were locked up,” Ticktin said. “I don’t think the DOJ is ready for us yet.”

The Washington Post reported that Mark McCloskey, the St. Louis lawyer who became known after he and his wife pointed guns at racial justice protesters in 2020, is also waiting for application details, both for himself and for Jan. 6 clients. “Everybody’s very excited about it,” McCloskey said. “It’s the first ray of light we’ve seen in a long time.”

Other names surfacing include former Rep. George Santos, who told The Post he is considering applying but wants an apology more than money, and former Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich, who said he had not decided but continues seeking vindication after his corruption conviction and Trump pardon.

The program has triggered immediate legal and political backlash. Harry Dunn, a retired U.S. Capitol Police officer, and Daniel Hodges, a Metropolitan Police officer, sued to block the fund, alleging it would reward people who attacked the Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021. Their lawsuit called it a “taxpayer-funded slush fund” and accused Trump of using federal money to finance political allies.

Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche told lawmakers he would not commit to barring payouts to people who assaulted police on Jan. 6. The fund immediately drew criticism from Democrats and watchdog groups, who described it as an extraordinary use of taxpayer money to benefit Trump allies. Rep. Jamie Raskin, the top Democrat on the House Judiciary Committee, called the arrangement a “slush fund” for Trump loyalists and said it could benefit people charged in connection with the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the U.S. Capitol.

Leave a Comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.