Ukraine war latest: Three children among dozens injured in Russian strikes on Zaporizhzhia

Ukrainian politician killed in shooting in Lviv – reportspublished at 11:44 British Summer Time
Image source, EPA
Former Ukrainian parliamentary speaker Andriy Parubiy has reportedly been killed
Away from updates on the war, we’re hearing reports that former Ukrainian parliamentary speaker Andriy Parubiy has been killed in a shooting in Lviv, western Ukraine.
Wider details of his death are not yet known, including when he was killed or who by.
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky says “all necessary forces and means are being deployed to investigate and find the killer”.
Lviv regional head Maksym Kozytskyi said Parubiy was shot and that he “died before the arrival of doctors”.
On the ground: Russia says it has captured Donetsk settlementpublished at 11:23 British Summer Time
The Russian Ministry of Defence this morning has claimed to have captured rural settlement in Donetsk – Komyshevakha.
The BBC has not been able to independently verify this claim, and Ukraine is yet to comment.
Meanwhile, Donetsk’s regional governor has issued an update covering various districts in the region, he says that over 630 people have been evacuated from the frontline.
Russia has shelled settlements in Donetsk 28 times in the past day, he says. A number of buildings have been damaged, according to the governor, with one person killed and others injured.
The wider picture
Russia already controls the majority of Donetsk and nearly all of neighbouring Luhansk – also known as the Donbas – and has continued making advances in these areas.
Ukraine’s President Zelensky has repeatedly said Ukraine will not hand over the Donbas in exchange for peace.
Last weekend, our reporter wrote about the situation inside Donetsk – with residents fleeing amid daily Russian attacks.
Russia: Target of overnight attack was Ukrainian missile and aviation infrastructurepublished at 10:48 British Summer Time
We’ve just heard from Russia’s defence ministry after overnight strikes on Ukraine’s Zaporizhzhia region, which killed one person and injured 28 others including three children.
In a statement, the ministry says Russia’s armed forces launched a “massive strike” on missile and aviation infrastructure, as well as military airfields in Ukraine.
“The targets of the strike have been achieved, all designated objects have been hit,” it concludes.
Twenty Ukrainian drones shot down this morning, Russia’s defence ministry sayspublished at 10:26 British Summer Time
We can now bring you a new update from Russia, as its defence ministry says it destroyed 20 Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAVs) from Ukraine between 07:00 and 11:00 local time.
Eighteen of those were over Crimea, the ministry adds.
In an earlier update, the ministry said they had destroyed 86 UAVs overnight.
Attack comes days after Russia’s deadly strikes on Kyivpublished at 10:13 British Summer Time
CCTV captures moments three strikes hit Kyiv
The latest series of overnight attacks on Zaporizhzhia come two days after Kyiv suffered the second biggest Russian aerial attack of the war so far.
One missile tore through a five-storey block of residential flats in the Ukrainian capital at about 03:00 local time on Thursday morning, causing it to collapse.
Twenty-three people were killed – including four children – and dozens more were injured.
The European Union’s diplomatic mission and nearby British Council were hit by the strikes in central Kyiv. European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen said she was “outraged” by the attack.
A day of mourning was held in Ukraine on Friday.
Firefighters tackle blaze in Zaporizhzhia, as residents flee damaged homespublished at 10:02 British Summer Time
As we have been reporting, the latest bombardments from Russia hit central and south-eastern Ukraine with one killed and 28 injured in a strike on Zaporizhzhia.
Emergency crews continue to battle fires in the aftermath of the attack, as residents have been displaced from their homes.
Image source, State Emergency Service Of Ukraine
A firefighter works at the site of an apartment building hit during a Russian drone and missile strike in Zaporizhzhia
Image source, Reuters
Two women stand at the site of a damaged apartment building in Zaporizhzhia – debris can be seen strewn across the ground
Image source, Reuters
A man cradles his cat as he carries it away from the site of the same damaged building
Image source, Reuters
Medical workers treated a women who sits in an ambulance with a bandage around her left arm
Air raid sirens sound in Zaporizhzhia, regional head sayspublished at 09:45 British Summer Time
Breaking
New air raid sirens have sounded in the region of Zaporizhzhia, the regional head says, following overnight strikes on the region.
Ivan Fedorov says on Telegram that there is a “threat of ballistic missile strikes” on the region, and other parts of Ukraine.
As a reminder, one person was killed and 28 others have been injured following a strike on a residential building in Zaporizhzhia.
Russia is making its point clearpublished at 09:33 British Summer Time
Katy Watson
Reporting from Kyiv
Image source, Reuters
People take shelter in a metro station during a Russian drone attack on Ukraine
Air raid sirens sounded late last night here in Kyiv – and the alarm stayed in place until about 06:30 local time (04:30 BST).
Then shortly afterwards, they came back on. There were two more alerts, warning people of the threat of drones but they’ve now ended.
It’s the second big overnight attack in a week – a total of 582 drones and missiles coming in from Russia – but this time it was central and south-eastern Ukraine that bore the brunt of the strikes.
Russia is making its point clear – while there may be ongoing diplomatic talks to try and bring the war to an end, as far as Moscow is concerned, the fighting will continue.
For people here in Ukraine, it’s hard to see a clear way forward to end the killing.
Russia and Ukraine trade strikes overnightpublished at 09:23 British Summer Time
Image source, State Emergency Service of Ukraine/Telegram
Cross-border strikes have continued overnight, as the Ukraine war rages on.
In Russia, its ministry of defence says 86 UAVs were intercepted and destroyed by their air defence systems – including 30 over the Black Sea and 13 in the southern region of Rostov.
Rostov’s acting governor, Yuriy Slyusar, wrote on Telegram this morning that air defence systems had destroyed UAVS over five districts – with no injuries or other consequences.
Other regional governors in Russia have similarly reported on no injuries or casualties – including In Bryansk where Russian officials have said five UAVs were shot down.
In Ukraine, the State Emergency Services of Ukraine says one person has died and 28 others are injured after Russian strikes on Zaporizhzhia.
Of those injured in the region, eight have been hospitalised, the service said, including three children aged nine, 10 and 16.
Regional head Ivan Fedorov has said thousands in the region remain without electricity.
Parts of Dnipropetrovsk and Pavlohrad, in the central east of Ukraine, have also been hit. Infrastructure facilities have been damaged, although no deaths or injuries have been reported. Dnipro head Serhiy Lysak said 18 missiles were destroyed, in addition to 20 that landed.
One person in serious condition, 14 have ‘moderate’ injuries – regional head shares updatepublished at 09:03 British Summer Time
Ivan Fedorov, the regional head of Zaporizhzhia, has just shared details of the 24 people known to have been injured in this attack.
In an update on Telegram, he says:
- Nine sustained minor injuries
- 14 have “moderate” injuries
- And one is in a “serious condition”
Fedorov says they’re all in hospital – and thanks doctors for working through the night.
We’ll keep bringing you the latest as we get it.
Zelensky: Russia’s attention is on massive new strikes, not peace talkspublished at 08:55 British Summer Time
Image source, Reuters
We’ve been hearing from Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky, he says “Russia is once again showing that it doesn’t give a damn about words”.
He adds that Ukraine is now “counting on real action. It is clear that Moscow has used the time allocated for the preparation of the meeting at the leadership level to prepare new massive strikes.”
“The only way to reopen the window of opportunity for diplomacy is tough tariffs against all those who pump money into the Russian army,” he says, adding that there is a need for ” effective sanctions against Moscow itself”.
Citing Thursday’s deadly strikes on Kyiv, Zelensky says “we saw the world’s reaction to the previous shelling”, and now “Ukraine is waiting for action from America, Europe and the whole world”.
The president says 14 regions across Ukraine have been hit by overnight Russian strikes including Kyiv, Kharkiv, Dnipropetrovsk and Zaporizhzhia.
Quote Message
This war will not stop with political statements – real steps are needed.
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky
Emergency services put out fires after deadly attack in Zaporizhzhiapublished at 08:40 British Summer Time
Katy Watson
Reporting from Kyiv
Image source, State Emergency Service of Ukraine/Telegram
It was another night of air raid sirens here in Kyiv, threats of incoming drones and missiles. Much of the country was put on alert this time – with Poland scrambling its fighter jets to protect its airspace.
Railway infrastructure was damaged near the capital but it was central and southeastern Ukraine that bore the brunt of the latest strikes – emergency services this morning putting out fires after a deadly attack in the region of Zaporizhzhia.
There were explosions too in cities in neighbouring Dnipropetrovsk – the second successive night that the region’s been targeted.
Earlier this week, Kyiv acknowledged that the situation on the ground is difficult there too, with Russian troops crossing into Dnipropetrovsk.
Until now, the region’s largely avoided intense fighting.
Dnipropetrovsk isn’t one of the five Ukrainian regions Moscow has claimed as Russian territory.
Russian strikes on southern and central Ukraine kill one and injure dozenspublished at 08:36 British Summer Time
Thomas Mackintosh
Live reporter
One person has died and dozens have been injured in overnight Russian strikes on Ukraine’s southern Zaporizhzhia region.
Three children, two boys aged nine and 10 and a girl aged 16, are among the injured, regional head Ivan Fedorov says.
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky says the strikes hit residential buildings in the region, causing “many fires”.
Explosions have also been heard in the central eastern regions of Dnipro and Pavlohrad.
The latest attacks on Ukraine come just days after Russia launched its deadliest onslaught on Kyiv since July. At least 23 people were killed and many more injured in strikes on the Ukrainian capital on Thursday.
We’re continuing to monitor the latest developments, stay with us.